September 7, 1901 – San Francisco – “Another of the fleet of colliers coming here from the East for the coast trade made port Thursday night. She is the steamship Eureka of Fairport, Ohio, and brings a cargo of 1,800 tons of Pocahontas coal for the navy.
The Eureka had rather a hard time of it on her way here, encountering in the Pacific a heavy storm, which, damaged the rudder. The vessel had to be taken into Talcahuano for repairs. Another start was then made and the machinery got out of gear. A stop was made at Valparaiso, and after five days of hard work the Eureka was ready for sea again. She did not make any more stops until San Francisco was reached.
A strange coincidence is that while the Eureka was putting into Talcahuano on July 10 with her rudder damaged, the Meteor, another of the fleet, was putting into Rio de Janeiro with her rudder damaged.
The Eureka was built by the Cleveland Shipbuilding Company of Lorain, Ohio, in 1899 for the Eureka Transportation Company of Cleveland, Ohio.
Her advent on the coast will complicate matters somewhat, as there is already a steamship Eureka running between here and Humboldt Bay.” (San Francisco Call)
The Fleet’s In – 56 Navy Ships Visit San Francisco!
September 26, 1947 – San Francisco – “Led by the battleship Iowa, the first task fleet of 56 ships steamed in through the Golden Gate today with 22,000 sailors eager for three days of liberty.
Admiral Louis E. Denfield, commander in chief of the Pacific fleet, and Vice Admiral G. D. Murray, commander of the fleet were aboard the flagship Iowa, which was met at Golden Gate Bridge by welcoming craft carrying the University of California band and 100 members of the rooting section.
Thousands of visiting sailors planned to see the Navy-California football game at Berkeley tomorrow. The fighting force included the heavy cruisers Columbus and Helena, the light cruisers Pasadena, Springfield and Oakland: the aircraft carriers Boxer, Valley Forge and Tarawa, and escort carrier Bairoko; nine submarines and a submarine tender.
Twenty-five destroyers were in the task force. The ships berthed around the bay from Port Chicago to Hunters Point.
Thirty ships will be open to San Francisco visitors at Piers 7, 16, 22, 33, 35, 37 and Hunters Point. The other 26 docked in east and north bays.” (San Francisco Chronicle)
‘Lordly’ Clipper N.B. Palmer Arrives at the Golden Gate
September 30, 1852 – San Francisco – The clipper N.B. Palmer completed her first of three voyages to San Francisco in 131 days from New York via Valparaiso.
Under the command of Captain Charles Porter Low, “the lordly clipper succeeded in astonishing every sailorman in that crowded port by sailing his big clipper right up to and alongside her wharf, a truly magnificent piece of seamanship,” wrote maritime historian Basil Lubbock. “It appears that the pilot anchored the N.B. Palmer in the Bay; the agents were anxious to get the ship with her valuable cargo alongside her discharging wharf, but no tow boats were available.
Whereupon Captain Low hove up his anchor on an ebb tide, way off his ship at the right moment, and berthed her alongside the wharf as delicately and carefully as if she had been a present day 50,000-tonner. A big crowd, most of whom were critical seafarers, cheered his feat of sail seamanship with stentorian lungs; and it was generally brought up in sailing ship fo’c’sles by elderly seamen in order to show the superiority of the old days of wood and hemp over the new days of iron and wire, now, alas, also defeated by sail and steam.”
The “lordly” N.B. Palmer spent 40 years at sea before she was abandoned to sink in the North Atlantic in 1892.