October 9, 1957 – New York – With just a trace of a list a sleek new tanker swung into New York Harbor today bearing a cargo to brighten the spirits of the big town, 2,500,000 gallons of California wine.
This latest switch in tankers, the first such ship ever built in the U.S., arrived from California on its maiden voyage. The 22,000-ton floating wine cellar, the Angelo Petri, flies the flag of United Vintners, Inc., a major California wine producer.
Reminiscent of the old Greek wine galleys, the seven million dollar vessel is expected to cut the cost of transporting wines from California to the East Coast, according to Louis Petri, president of United Vintners.
“By transporting by ship, the wine is less exposed to the air than it would be in bottles or barrels, and the gentle rolling of the sea is far better for it than the harsh jolting it receives in the bottle during land transport,” Petri said at welcoming ceremonies here.
Wine previously moved in railroad freight cars. Wine was pumped into the ship’s stainless steel vats at Pori Stockton, for shipment to Port Newark, N. J., where it will be bottled and delivered to eastern markets.
Part of the cargo was discharged at Houston for distribution by barge to Midwest markets. On the return trip the tanker will carry liquid edibles such as sugar in solution, and beverage alcohol, Petri said. (United Press)
Battered Barkentine Arrives at the Golden Gate
October 19, 1904 – San Francisco – “Fast sailer though the barkentine Gardiner City may be, she does not seem to be able to run away from storm and attendant disaster.
She arrived in port yesterday morning, fourteen days from Tacoma, and reports having had a fight with a fierce southeast sale off the northern coast. This was her first round trip since she was towed us from Redondo a dismasted and helpless hulk last March. A southeast winter gale blowing into that little harbor Jammed her against the wharf and finally under it, tearing the masts out of her and ripping the houses and tails from the decks.
Entangled in the wreck of the wharf, she could not be driven on the beach, but she had the time of her life fighting with the broken piles and splintered timbers of the dock and smashing away at the structure and getting many a body blow in return. “When the wind stopped blowing and the big seas lowered themselves, what was left of the Gardiner City was hauled out from the remains of the wharf. She was a melancholy thing to look upon, but she was still in the ring. The wharf was a mass of wreckage, so the honors were even, and the plucky barkentine was towed to this port for treatment.
With new spars, rails and deckhouses she was as good as new and sailed for Puget Sound with cargo. On her way down from Tacoma, old ocean, who probably had never forgotten nor forgiven the fight and escape at Redondo, came down on her in the shape of a heavy southeaster and the battle was on again.
Everything was secured for trouble and with foresail and double topsails close reefed the barkentine bucked the seas like the fearless Amazon she is. The great waves hurled themselves over the vessel, breaking in the doors and flooding the cabin and forecastle till there were seven feet of water in the hold and four feet on deck.
The barkentine went down on her beam ends and for four hours lay on her side, with, the starboard rail under water. The pumps failed to work and the vessel was waterlogged and helpless. This would have ceded the vessel for all time, but with the 500,090 feet of lumber aboard she was unsinkable. To right her about 100,000 feet of the deck load was jettisoned, and when the vessel came on an even keel it was discovered that much of the starboard rail was badly wrecked.
But, as usual, the barkentine Gardiner City came out of the fight alive and upright and though damaged will fight the gale again when she goes to sea.” (San Francisco Call)
Lumber Cargo Arrives in San Pedro
October 17, 1857 – San Pedro – “The schooner Kate Adams, Capt. Billard, arrived from San Francisco Saturday morning, with a cargo of lumber (87,060 feet) consigned to N. L. Drew & Co.
She was built at San Francisco, by Phineas Hudson—registers 41 tons— is owned by Capt. Billard and others and was launched about a fortnight since.
This was her first voyage, und although somewhat prolonged in consequence of head winds, during its performance she behaved well so far as opportunity of testing her sailing properties offered. A few days later, she loaded cut lumber for Sacramento.” (Los Angeles Star)